Freemium Content

I really enjoyed the Rush content for Battlefield: Bad Company. I know this rounds out another post of BF:BC2, but with them releasing a second map pack yesterday, I had to.

The map pack really isn't a set of new maps. It's a set of new game types on some existing maps (one of which we can now actually see for what it is). Either way, it's free. It counts as a technicality as a map pack though, since maps are involved. Though don't ask the forums anywhere, as that's just flame bait.

The nice part about them though, is that they are free to people who bought the game new. I don't care if it's content that's left out or finished later, Dice and EA never made it a secret that they would be taking shots at the used game market with this strategy. Players who bought the game used will have to pay to get the new maps. It's only 2 maps, but as that number goes up in the future, I can see the cost being worth it.

This is in stark contrast to the Stimulus package from Modern Warfare. Don't get me wrong, I love MW2, and I'm becomming quite fond of BF:BC2, but Dice beat Infinity Ward by miles here. IW has players paying close to $15 for 5 maps, 2 of which are maps from the original MW. Now I loved the original MW as well, and while I'd pay $15 for all of those maps as a pack, 5 maps is a bit of a letdown.

Especially when Treyarch released a ton of content for World at War.

No comments: