Introducing "More of the Same"

So this whole New 52 isn't working out as planned, and I take full responsibility for that. There's a ton of content and things I want to get up, but not a ton of time to do it all in.

This week though I want to show you some pre-rendered footage of a game series that's close to my heart. Far-Cry 3.

This video is obviously promotional and probably not in game footage.
Get More: GameTrailers.com,



Now the wierd part about Far Cry 3, is that like Far Cry 2, it only hints at a previous series by having the same name. Far Cry 2 is a successor to Far Cry in Name and publisher only, and really the series seems to only be about rethinking how best to preset a FPS set in a tropical environment.

Honestly, that alone is worth the price of admission, since most FPS happen in the same gray place, and not in the offices/building/suburbs/etc that I actually would love to see used. I wish more games made interiors, but that's a conversation for a whole different post.

So this rethinking has the best qualities of the first game, which are lush jungle, clear water, lots of guns. Looking through some screenshots, I even see some places I swear I think I've been.

That's vastly different from Far Cry 2, where best I could tell, the tie-in was that I was the same person playing the game. Either way, the game looks to have the "formula" you need for a Far Cry game, and I'll be keeping my eye on it's progress.

I mentioned planetside a while back as THE upcoming free to play MMOFPS, and got some feedback about how launching free-to-play might be a bad sign. If there's one thing I know it's that PC gamers will come out in droves to a free sale, and I think Sony knows it as well. The problem I had with PlanetSide originally was I couldn't see paying monthly to play the same game of capture the flag, when ultimately there were options. The main thing RPG's having going for them, is they can always add content, and I couldn't imagine an online FPS with story driven content.

That being said, you can get beta keys to Planetside 2 with your physical copy of PCGamer magazine this month, and then make that decision yourself.

And lastly, because this is too crazy to not mention. Mass Effect is going into space. Physically. They are releasing copies from space to drop down and impact your insurance deductible.

No comments: