The beginning of Interactive content

Call me crazy, but there seems to be a decent influx of "games" masquerading as intereactive content. Now no, I'm not adverse to this idea as a genre, but it does raise somer serious questions for me.
First, I'm doing my first playthrough on Heavy Rain, which really comes off more as an emotion simulator than overall thriller. Yes, I get that there is a killer, and that the story will unfold as the events playout and that the bad guy is always the same. So far it's good, but it's not perfect. I would imagine that for a suspenseful thriller that wants to be interactive storytelling, I would hope they would let me make the decisions I actually want to make.
For example, I'm to a point where I just received a mysterious box with a gun, and origami and a cell phone with a memory card that shows video of my kid. Honestly, my real life first thoughts were take this info to the cops to pull the security footage of the guy who placed the box where I got it. That seems like the best way to get my kid back right, not play the killers game. But I get it, it's a movie, or interactive story.
Which brings me to my point, if I can't diverge from your story path, and I have to have the experience you designed, then why are you trying to market yourself as anything different from the other games I play with the same restrictions. The fact that you are slower, and more nuanced don't change the core mechanics of what you are.
I say, that and it probably seems like I don't like the game. The opposite is true, I think the game is fantastic, but it makes me wonder why great games don't get the kind of support that "interactive storytellers" do.
It makes me wonder alot.

No comments: